Thursday, January 27, 2011

Vroom! Vroom!

Owen is a typical first born and is wanting to be grown up faster than Mama is comfortable with. He loves 'driving'! Anytime the drivers side door of a car is open he tries to climb in as quickly and as undetected as possible to get a feel of that glorious steering wheel and feel the power beneath his little finger tips. This week Julia Castillo was kind enough to loan Owen her first set of wheels, which she holds very dear to her heart. I hope that after seeing how much time he spent in it on Sunday evening, she feels that he will take good care of it!  He loves this little car - and Mama loves that it keeps him playing outside for such lengthy periods of time! Yesterday he was outside playing and driving around the backyard and I see him run through the kitchen to his bedroom saying "wait! wait!". I thought to myself....this is going to be good. After about a minute he runs back outside with his keys and sunglasses on and says 'Bye! See ya later Mama!' hahahahah! I asked him where he was going and he said he was going to the fair. The boy has a plan! 
As I have mentioned before - Owen loves to sing and be sung to. His favorite songs to sing are Holy, Holy, Holy and Jesus Loves Me and his favorite songs for us to sing to him are "Roses Whisper" (his title - its actually Brahms Lullaby) and "Arden's Song" which is a song that he loves for Arden or the girls to sing to him. This weekend when we had guests over for lunch Owen didn't hesitate to use the opportunity to perform for them. Here is a clip of the 'show':
Some people ask me how I manage having Owen come to work with me each day. Well - it wasn't easy at first, but I'm very thankful that we have a good little system worked out. Owen has 'blanket time' and a nice 3 hour nap each day while I work. Blanket time is my life saver. When he was younger I started putting him on a blanket with toys for short periods of time and training him to stay on the blanket. As he got older the times got longer and longer and he quite happily plays quietly while Mama works. This doesn't only help in the office - I think that it really helps in a lot of different areas. He is able to play by himself, which I feel is very important. He is taught boundaries and knows not to pass them (which I personally think makes kids feel more secure). It also teaches him to be able to sit still and not constantly be running all over the place, which is his tendency (and of course there is a time and place for running around burning off energy!) This will be helpful when it's time to start sitting in church and also when  he goes to school. All from sitting on a blanket as a baby . I know its not for everyone, but I'm thankful it works for us :-) 


Here is a sneak peak into "blanket time" :


Owen's favorite book of the week: "Caps For Sale"

2 comments:

  1. Susie's song...... what a boy. :) Toooooooo cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love his singing. I read about "blanket time" in a book recently and thought it sounded like a really good idea. Glad to know it is working for you guys!

    ReplyDelete