Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Big Wheels Keep on Turnin'



Today was a big day for Owen! He got to be in a photo shoot for In The Now Weddings and Events with his friend Lily. They were given fancy clothes to wear and yummy crackers and lollipops to eat! What more could a 2yr old want? The setting was a wedding and there were sets and models to play the bride and groom. The kids did so good and cooperated with all of the instructions they were given. Owen was a natural and quite a show-off! I'm not exactly sure when or how these pictures are going to show up, I heard something about a website and then being entered into a magazine competition. I'll make sure  to post them when I get them, but here are a few pictures (kind of fuzzy) that I took on my phone. They gave Owen a present to open and it was an Elmo camera toy, and since he got red lollipop on his fancy Janie & Jack shirt,  we got to keep it! Score!! :-)




And a little video:



Owen had another first today! He finally figured out how to use the pedals on his tri-cycle!! This has been a long time coming as he is vertically challenged (its okay honey, you had a rough start) and his little legs couldn't reach well enough to put pressure on the pedals. Somehow today - the wheels started turnin' (ha-ha) and a peddling he went! I was really suprised and so proud of him! We were so excited and Owen wanted to show his friends...but it didn't work out so well there. He ended up falling - and it was pretty hilarious....but don't worry, I got it on video ;-). Being true to the un-hovering mother that I am, I kept the camera rolling while the girls and I laughed away and Dani went to Owen's rescue. 

Here is the video of him peddling for the first time



And the more entertaining one (it's okay, you can admit it) of him falling:




A few days ago Owen had a follow up visit with the Orange County Occupational Therapy group that has followed him since he came home from the NICU.  At this point, they don't really DO anything for him but check up on his development every six months. When they first started with him he NEEDED help and I'm so grateful for their expertise. For his first year at home he had an OT come to the house every week to work with him and the improvement in that year was so incredible. His therapist this week was greeted by Owen at the front door and he said "I'm Owen, come in my new house!" She was shocked and said she's never had a 2yr old greet her so warmly. She asked lots of questions about what he is and is not doing in order to assess if he is staying on track with his development. Let me just tell you, some of these questions made me think- I know he's an only child and I must not have anything else to do but take notes on whether he draws horizontal or vertical lines when he colors, but I'm a busy lady.  Was I supposed to be paying attention to these tiny little details of his behavior? I have no idea if he does that?? Meanwhile he played with her bag of toys and chatted away with us. One funny question she asked was if he says sentences that are at least 4 words long.......... this was in the first few minutes of her visit. She quickly learned what a silly question that was. I said, "oh yes, he definitely talks with full long sentences." So she said "What's the longest sentence he's ever said and in what context." (I don't think she believed me). So I said, "Well the other day he started walking towards the back door with a cup and I asked him where he was going. He said 'I'm going to the Hodgins house to borrow some milk. See you later.' She laughed really hard and I guess that means that I borrow too much stuff from the Hodgins. :-) Anyways, she assessed that he is above average in every area on the evaluation and guessed that he has the verbal and social skills of a 4 year old.  My 29 week preemie Ladies and Gentleman..... To God Be The Glory!


And here is one more video just for funnies..... Owen singing "Rah Rah Ah Aa Ah Rah Ma Rah Ma Mahh Ga Ga Oo La La" That's what he calls it and for the record...Sam is the one that exposed him to Lady Gaga - not me.


I think that's all folks.... St. Patty's Day tomorrow! A holiday we love to celebrate to the fullest - pictures to come I'm sure! :-)


Owen's favorite book of the week: Make Way For Ducklings

1 comment:

  1. "Sam is the one that exposed him to Lady Gaga"
    Pure lies! I don't even know who Lady Gaga is! Sounds like a refined member of high French society to me.

    ReplyDelete