The above picture has made quite an impact on Owen's life as of late. The idea of "Robbers" has entered his little brain and he has been obsessing on anything and everything having to do with robbers. It all started when he was playing with a friend a little older than him who was 'pretending' to be a robber. Through no fault of his own, this friend was getting very literal and accurate in his pretending. "Okay, now I'm gonna be the robber and I'm gonna sneak in your house with my gun and steal all your toys." *Owen stares wide eyed*
Ever since that night we've heard questions like,
"Do robbers have houses?"
"Do robbers drive cars?"
"How do robbers get into your house?"
"What do robbers like to eat?"
"Are robbers human?"
(the list goes on and on....believe me)
Now, every time he sees the neighborhood watch sign anywhere he shouts "ROBBER, MOM! LOOK ITS A ROBBER!!!" (the more I type 'robber' the stranger the word looks). Unfortunately, there are neighborhood watch banners hanging from every lamp post down the main street we take to get to preschool. We have finally gotten closure on the idea that they are there to tell all robbers that "there are no robbers allowed in Lakewood". The main cause for concern in Owen's mind (besides the safety of his toys) is that he knows stealing is a sin. One day he said "But mom, don't robbers know that they are breaking God's law?" I told him that they don't care what God thinks and they are disobedient. This did not sit well with him and "Owen's Ministry to Robbers" was born.
The mission statement of this new non-profit organization (the 501(c)(3) tax form is pending) is as follows, in Owen's own words.
"I would like to tell all the robbers that when they steal they are breaking God's law. I would tell them that God is very sad when you steal. They need to ask God's forgiveness for breaking his law and put back all the things they took. Then I would teach them how to be happy. ("How would you teach them to be happy, Owen?") I would draw them a picture of a happy face. Then, robbers would just be normal human beings like us."
Robbers need Jesus!
In closing and completely unrelated to the above post....here is a funny video of what it is like when Owen won't sit still and I tell him to "take a lap".

Definitely a Renihan tradition(laps, that is) - just imagine FOUR of them running around the dining room table. It was quite necessary in the middle of winter.
ReplyDeleteYes, I have taken up the Renihan tradition of dining room table laps as well!
ReplyDeleteAnd my boys are fascinated by robbers too :-)
Oh, the difference between boys and girls. It has never even crossed my mind to have Allie take a lap. Since Matthew just does whatever Allie does I don't have that "problem" with him either. While my kids are not obsessed with robbers they are obsessed with the NO signs around town. )Try to explain smoking to someone who has never seen it.)
ReplyDeleteLove Owen's heart, he is a super sweet boy.
All of our children took laps when they were smaller.
ReplyDelete